One day, a few years ago, my tiniest human asked me when he was getting a bed like his big brother. The time had come to move my last baby from his cot into a BIG boy room. Instead of going into total meltdown mode I decided to challenge myself and have some fun with it!
His nursery was a mix of bright baby green and matte dark brown, with circles in those two colours, as well as white ones, painted on the wall. When we moved into our house I had a very young baby and a 4-year-old who I felt needed the ‘attention’ of an awesome new room more so I focused on that (and let’s not forget the entire rest of the house…) and just did a very basic nursery. So I wanted to make a big deal out of this change for him!
I decided I wanted to do the entire change from nursery to BIG boy room in one day (a school day, so roughly 6 hours), so when he left in the morning his room looked like it always does and when he got home it would be totally new and different!
I chose a SPACE theme and my oldest and I went shopping for all the things I needed. I had to get as much ready as possible before the actual day. With only 6 hours I had to keep the current colour scheme and then change the existing circles into planets, and also add a few things like a rocket and some decor, ambitious but not impossible!
“The big day” was set for a Thursday, so by the Wednesday I made sure I had everything, or so I thought… I must confess that I decided to make the Solar System mobile the day before, because that took about 2 hours on its own!
I dropped the boys off at school that Thursday morning and rushed back home to start on the BIG boy room! I was SO excited about the whole thing! I began by checking my to-do list… I am a HUGE fan of lists. HUGE. I don’t know how people do anything without lists.
It went as follows:
- Take photos of room “before”.
- Organize the day so I do not need to stop at any time.
- Set up Time Lapse of some of the painting etc.
- Pack up the room (cot, bedding, baby stuff etc).
- Take the rocking chair out.
- Paint planets and rocket on walls and closet.
- Marker them once dry.
- Put bed in and bedding on.
- Put decor in.
- Hang Solar System.
Of course, nothing EVER goes to plan so that wasn’t exactly the way the day went… Once you’ve gotten to know me you’ll find that Murphy has a really big problem with me and nothing ever goes the way I want it to, but I usually get there in the end anyway (screw you Murphy’s Law). So the day actually went like this:
- Took photo’s of the room “before”.
- Set up Time Lapse but the camera kept slipping (I didn’t know this at the time) and so I mostly just time lapsed the ceiling… a lot. The few videos I did manage to take are terrible quality so I didn’t put them in this post.
- Packed up the room successfully.
- Started painting the planets on the wall.
- Got asked to fetch someone so I had to stop.
- Got back home 30 min later and then made them help me carry the chair downstairs, and the double bed and base into the upstairs hallway (think of this as an incentive to never ask me to fetch you, ever).
- Continued painting the planets and rocket.
- Painted some more…
- And more painting… Took a lot of coats and drying time in between, more than anticipated.
- Started panicking a bit about the time.
- Decided to put the bed in before I marker’d the planets in case I ran out of time.
- Pushed the bed into the room and set it up.
- Put bedding on (including the pool noodle trick – see below).
- Started marker-ing all the planets and the rocket.
- Put in decor, realized I needed a long lead for the lava lamp, had to organize that.
- Hung the solar system.
- Lead arrives.
- Still doing the last marker-ing on the walls.
- Realize I need another plug for the rocket night light, can’t find one.
- Running out of time! Starting to freak out!
- My bestie buys me an extra 30 minutes by bringing the boys home.
- Got everything done in the room, just in time!
- 5 minutes before my son comes home to see his room the electricity goes off (thanks to load shedding… insert a series of expletives here) and so the lava lamp isn’t on anyway despite the huge effort to have it working in time!
The picture above is me desperately trying to dry the paint in between layers. Oh and what I mean by “marker-ing” is outlining the painted pictures with black permanent marker.
Plus/Minus 6 hours of chaos and this is the After:
[su_quote]Ambitious but not impossible![/su_quote]
At the end of a very long day I had a VERY happy boy and a finished BIG boy room, and when the power finally went back on, the lava lamp was a hit!
This is the “pool noodle trick” I referred to earlier:
I stuck it under the fitted sheet to create a sort of ridge to keep him from falling out of the bed. It totally worked, he never fell out, and I removed it about 3 months later and he still hasn’t fallen out, so who knows if it was necessary or not. If nothing else it made me feel better!
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment and we’ll get back to you.