I have such a love hate relationship with packing it’s insane…
I love that it’s time to pack because it means we’re going somewhere… I hate that I have to spend hours actually packing the clothes in the suitcases! I love that my obsessive list-making, plan-forming brain gets to focus on a task like this… I hate that on paper it’s all sorted but in reality I can’t find half the stuff I thought I had! I love feeling like I’m organised and I have all my shit together… I hate finding out that I actually don’t!
What to Pack:
- Start off with the basics: Where are you going? For how long? What type of weather are you expecting? What type of Travel (Plane, Train, Automobile…)?
- Make a list and tick it off as you go, I find that if I just pack without the list (especially for long trips) I’ve forgotten what I put in half way through!
- Remembering your basics – weather, duration, etc, decide what you need:
- Undies – Underwear, Panties, G-Strings, Bra’s, Socks, Bikini’s, ?
- Pants – Jeans, Formal pants, Shorts, Leggings, ?
- Tops – Tank tops, T-Shirts, Long-Sleeve Tops, Knits, Sweaters, ?
- Accessories – Hats, Scarfs, Necklaces, Earrings, Sunglasses, ?
- Shoes – Sneakers, Flats, Sandals, Boots, Heels, ?
- Electronics – Chargers, Memory Cards, Camera Accessories, ?
- Toiletries – Skincare, Haircare, Makeup, Ear Plugs, Suncare, ?
- Essentials – Passport, Driver’s Licence, Cash, Credit Cards, Medicine, ?
- When I’m planning what I’m going to pack I mentally ‘put on’ every outfit and pack accordingly.
- Don’t pack too many shoes – this one is so hard for me – but depending on how long the trip is (longer=less shoes per amount of outfits) I try to limit it to:
- 1 Casual pair per 2-3 outfits (Sandals, Pumps)
- 1 Formal pair per 2-3 outfits (Boots, Heels, Smart Flats)
- 1 pair of Sneakers (2 if it’s that kind of trip)
- Even if you’re visiting a tropical paradise always take at least one warm top with!
How to Pack:
- Roll most of your clothes, it reduces creases and it saves space. Pack these on the bottom of your suitcase. I roll everything except blazers, smart pants, shirts and puffy jackets.
- Carefully fold the items you don’t roll, and lay them on top, alternating direction as you go.
- I like to put socks, underwear and whatever else fits, inside my shoes to save space.
- Pack things you’ll need first on top. Arriving late at night? Have those pajama’s accessible!
- Wrap breakable items in soft clothing, like a GHD or plastic container.
My Best Packing Tips:
- Work with your bag, not against it! Think of it as a puzzle, move different shaped items around to maximize space.
- To keep my earrings, jewellery etc safe when I travel, I pack them in a plastic organizer box like this:
- Ziploc bags are your friend! You can put items that don’t crease easily (like knits) in and then squeeze the air out of them to save space. I always take spare bags with me for any wet incidents and dirty clothing, you can do the air squeezing trick on it.
- Pack in an extra plug, whether travelling overseas (then take an adapter) or at home, you never know when you’ll need it. I always take two-prong plugs with for all my chargers.
- Wear your chunkiest pair of shoes to save space.
- If you’re taking a coat/big jacket, carry it seperately or wear it if it’s cold enough.
- Leave space in your suitcase for souvenirs and things you buy on holiday!
- If you’re flying take a portable luggage scale with you… I’ve found it to be really useful!
- I always keep the ‘important stuff’ like documents, medicine, phone, headphones, wallet, sunscreen, etcetera completely accessible, like in my handbag.
- Pack extra chronic medication, just in case you don’t return home when you planned to.
Travelling with Kids? Check this post out.
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment and we’ll get back to you.